Thanks

Awards Showcase

Default Shard farming (spots that give yield +1)

As a crafter trying to progress 5 DoH jobs at the same time, I've come across the problem of shard shortage (say it three times fast .) as well as material shortage so I leveled Miner to 50 and Botanist to 26 so far. I came across a node as a miner that had the unique trait of "Fire shard yield +1". So add to that the ability as a miner to increase fire shard yield by 2, you can now mine 4 shards each swing at this node.

Given the very useful utility of this node in the aid of speeding up shard farming I searched the web over to find more nodes like this one for other crystals. I found this listing on another website and figured I would share:

http://www.swaggerffxiv.com/forums/t...d-shard-nodes/

Logging lvl 30 Middle La Noscea – Fork on the road more less in middle of map – Fire Shards
    Logging lvl 30 South Shroud – Just outside Buscarrons – Ice Shards
    Mining lvl 30 Western La Noscea – The Flock (By the fork in the road) – Ice Shards
    Logging lvl 30 Central Shround – Exit to South Shroud – Wind Shards
    Logging lvl 30 Central Thanalan – Close to East Exit of Uldah – Lightning Shards
    Quarrying lvl 30 West Thanalan – Nophica Wells Canyon – Water Shards
    Mining lvl 30 East Thanalan – Past Highbridge – ? Was listed without a Type
    Logging lvl 30 North Shroud – Peacegarden (By the bridge) – Earth Shards
    Last edited by Deacon; 10-20-2013 at 02:14 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deacon For This Useful Post:

E'hosmer (10-09-2013), Nith (10-09-2013), Pops (10-09-2013), ZeroZenX (10-09-2013)

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Default Re: Shard farming (spots that give yield +1)

Hey Deacon let me know how the crafting goes - I'm kind of taking a step back from leveling classes and working on both MIN & BOT as well as Carpenter/Leather/Weave - so if you have any helpful hints let me know. Also I'm not in a rush to hit 50 on any of these, kind of just gathering mats needed and then making things.

Thanks

1016869_10200233123370651_1022953163_n.jpg
    ^ this was my face when I read your post. Thank you! TYTYTYTYTY for posting this info, you're awesome! I'm a bit of a gathering fiend

Thanks

Awards Showcase

It's actually going very well right now. I literally farm on the days I have to work (mon, tues, Fri, Sat) and on my three off days, I burn through what I farmed and do leves (finding more and more that the higher levels pretty much require using leves or it is a sloooow painstaking process that sucks the fun right out of crafting.)

I decided to get Miner to 50 first and pruposefully mined ores, stones (mudstone, siltstone, ragstone, etc.), and jewels (amethyst, etc) These would primarily be used to level Armorer and Blacksmith (they both use the same ores through the same level ranges.) and Goldsmith uses the stones and jewels (and some of the metals that BSM/ARM produce and vice versa.)

getting those jobs to 15 on guild buyable mats took about 2 hours each, but once I reached 15, the gap between there and 20 required other items primarily from CRP. CRP primarily uses items farmed from Botanist. Sooo back to the gathering drawing board with BTN. BTN also brought about the ability to farm Wind shards with their ability to increase yield gain. GSM and CRP both use a ton of wind shards. So I leveled BTN to 26 and used the mats/shards from that to level CRP to 34 (no joke, easily the easiest of the DoH to level, never used a single leve on him yet either.)

Having gotten CRP to a high enough level to mass produce HQ lumber needed by BSM/ARM I proceeded to take those from 20 to 30.

BSM has to be one of the BEST support DoH as they can craft HQ tools which make a significant difference. GSM follows behind closely with HQ jewelry that increases CP quite a bit (I highly recommend melding CP+ materia to your jewelry as some pieces last 10+ levels. If you cap CP+ then add on Control.) Save your HQ mats that you farm for the sole purpose of creating these HQ tools and jewelry as well as the guild item requests (they ask for HQ items around level 25+)

Upon reaching level 30 on ARM/BSM on the sole merits of completing Crafting logs and ore melds it became increasingly slower and more 'costly' to level those two, so I turned to guildleves. Doing my homework on crafting leves I found the leves that ask for 3 items to be the most fruitful as far as exp earned compared to leves used. With these three turn ins, you purposely want to shoot for HQ items. Once you turn the three HQ items in, the leve that was worth 10K is now worth 30k (that's not a typo.), but wait! there's more! You'll be able to turn in 2 more sets of three items. That leve just netted you 90K exp. - essentially a level at level 28.

I've since gotten BSM and ARM to 35-ish and the reliance upon leather items has increased a great deal >.< So now I'm taking up LTW, which has brought about a new challenge - farming skins and other animal/mob parts. But I'm happy to report that my testing with +Gathering/+Perception gear while farming has returned very favorable results so that has helped a great deal. My LTW is only 10 at the moment (taking a break before binging to 30 -.-; ) but I foresee it'll likely need ALC items which will require leveling Fishing (found a guide that uses solely fish to level ALC to 50)

At that point, I'll likely level CUL seeing as that is the only DoH that wouldn't be leveled and I can only foresee that HQ food would be beneficial for raiding and future leveling.

And to think... all this started with the hopes to craft my own relic weapon for PLD... Helluva undertaking now and daunting to think about completing now, but it's been a fun and addicting hobby the last 3 weeks.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Deacon For This Useful Post:

Honey Tailtwitch (10-09-2013)

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Can now add that LTW to 20 is very easy. 1-15 with guild buyables. Complete crafting log and guild quests. Then go out with a full gatherer gear set on a DPS job and farm Goats around drybone for an hour for aldgoat skins. Synth those till 20/22.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Deacon For This Useful Post:

Dragonskin (10-11-2013)

Thanks

Awards Showcase

You can reach 1k wind shards/hour on the logging spot near the zone to south shroud. I talked about the process a few times in fc chat.
    Current character: Jean Grey
    Retainers: Amazon + Amazonprime
    ----
    Send me a /tell if you see one of my retainers selling something you want and I can give you a discount.

Guild Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Can now add that LTW to 20 is very easy. 1-15 with guild buyables. Complete crafting log and guild quests. Then go out with a full gatherer gear set on a DPS job and farm Goats around drybone for an hour for aldgoat skins. Synth those till 20/22.
    I wish I would have read this last night instead of buying both the Aldgoat skins and Alumen off the MB.... So did you literally just craft leathers from aldgoat skins up to 20/22?

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
    I wish I would have read this last night instead of buying both the Aldgoat skins and Alumen off the MB.... So did you literally just craft leathers from aldgoat skins up to 20/22?

Yes I actually went and farmed 300 skins in about an hour. Had the alumen from when I leveled miner. Synthed those from 16 till 24 actually. Youll need the leather for other DoH class leveling. So make as many as you can.

Guild Member
    Thanks

Found another node to add!! Quarring +lightning Southern Thanalan Just north of Little Ala Mingo. Has anyone found more???!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Phierakitten For This Useful Post:

Deacon (10-14-2013)

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Update to the above linked thread

Logging lvl 30 North Shroud – Peacegarden (By the bridge) – Earth Shards
    Mining lvl 30 Western La Noscea – The Flock (By the fork in the road) – Ice Shards