Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Minister of Odysseys Okaria Dragon's Avatar
    Thanks

Awards Showcase

Default Guide: Running Guild Wars 2 on Mac OS X

Guild Wars 2 for Mac is now available! Hurrah!

--- Previous Guide ---

Yep, it runs perfectly fine under Wine on OS X. Here's how to get it going:

1. Download the Guild Wars 2 Beta installer.
    2. Install Wineskin. Load it.
    3. Add the WS9Wine1.5.6 engine and Wineskin-2.5.5 wrapper, like so.
    4. Create a new Blank Wrapper. Name it Guild Wars 2.
    5. Run your new Guild Wars 2.app.
    6. Select "Install Software" and "Choose Setup Executable." Pick the Guild Wars 2 Beta installer you downloaded earlier.
    7. At some point you should be able to access the Wineskin Advanced Settings. Go to the Tools tab and select Winetricks.
    8. Search for "directx9" (it will appear under DLLs), select the checkbox next to it's name, and press Run. It might take a few minutes to download and extract, but eventually you'll be presented with the familiar DirectX patcher UI. Install it, then close Winetricks.
    9. Now "Test Run" your new Guild Wars 2 wrapper to start patching.

You'll want to tweak Wine and the game's video settings until you get a comfortable balance of performance and graphics. Here's my Wine screen options for reference. I also recommend changing the "Wine Debug" option to "-all" to disable all debugging/logging and boost performance.

Let me know if anyone has any questions or need help.
    Last edited by Okaria Dragon; 09-18-2012 at 06:32 PM.
    Playing World of Warcraft
    Networks Twitch Twitter Steam

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Okaria Dragon For This Useful Post:

Hugbees (08-18-2012), Pops (08-18-2012), RJO (06-10-2012), Ryath (08-15-2012)

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Default Re: Guide: Running Guild Wars 2 on Mac OS X

Just an update now that Mountain Lion has landed;

1. I can confirm this still works under ML.
    2. Wineskin 2.5.6 and WS9Wine1.5.11 are the latest versions as of this writing, and continue to work.
    3. You may wish to install XQuartz and enable the "Force use of system installed XQuartz instad of using built in WineskinX11"; I have seen improved frame rates doing this.
    4. Recent changes in the patcher have caused issues with black screens when it loads. You can fix this by adding "-useoldlauncher" in the EXE flags.
    5. Here's a good ICN pack you can use with your wrapper, if the default Wineskin icon bugs you.

As I didn't cover it before, if you ever need to get back into the Advanced wrapper settings, right click your Guild Wars 2.app wrapper and pick Show Package Contents; then just run the Wineskin.app contained inside. (You can also modify the file system for backing up or restoring from in here, just click through the "drive_c" alias.)

rodrigoruiz

Quote Originally Posted by Okaria Dragon View Post
    Just an update now that Mountain Lion has landed;

1. I can confirm this still works under ML.
    2. Wineskin 2.5.6 and WS9Wine1.5.11 are the latest versions as of this writing, and continue to work.
    3. You may wish to install XQuartz and enable the "Force use of system installed XQuartz instad of using built in WineskinX11"; I have seen improved frame rates doing this.
    4. Recent changes in the patcher have caused issues with black screens when it loads. You can fix this by adding "-useoldlauncher" in the EXE flags.
    5. Here's a good ICN pack you can use with your wrapper, if the default Wineskin icon bugs you.

As I didn't cover it before, if you ever need to get back into the Advanced wrapper settings, right click your Guild Wars 2.app wrapper and pick Show Package Contents; then just run the Wineskin.app contained inside. (You can also modify the file system for backing up or restoring from in here, just click through the "drive_c" alias.)
    When I use the Gw2Setup.exe as installer, it starts the download and the window gets black like you said.
    I did go to "Advanced", and added "-useoldlauncher" to "EXE Flags:" field.
    What should I do?

Ps.: I downloaded the installer today, so I didn't have the older version (maybe Beta) and then updated.

Thanks in advance

Guild Member
    Thanks

The black loading screen is a known issue. Word is that the -useoldlauncher exe flag no longer works. But, there is a workaround (one that also fixes the crash on chat bug), which is to use the -dx9single exe flag. It, however, turns off multithreading and can result in performance issues.

However, I am not sure if the black screen is isolated to the loading screen or the game as a whole. I haven't tried to download the whole thing from within mac, myself. I simply copied the download i had in bootcamp straight into the wine container. Unfortunately for me, i find on my several year old macbook rig (with dedicated graphics) that the performance with the -dx9single flag to be too poor for proper gameplay. You might have better luck if you have a newer hardware set up. Worth a try. Let us know how it goes!
    Last edited by Crescendo; 08-27-2012 at 01:41 AM.
    Arcelius - Elementalist
    Aureus Knights, Magumma

rodrigoruiz

Quote Originally Posted by Crescendo View Post
    The black loading screen is a known issue. Word is that the -useoldlauncher exe flag no longer works. But, there is a workaround (one that also fixes the crash on chat bug), which is to use the -dx9single exe flag. It, however, turns off multithreading and can result in performance issues.

However, I am not sure if the black screen is isolated to the loading screen or the game as a whole. I haven't tried to download the whole thing from within mac, myself. I simply copied the download i had in bootcamp straight into the wine container. Unfortunately for me, i find on my several year old macbook rig (with dedicated graphics) that the performance with the -dx9single flag to be too poor for proper gameplay. You might have better luck if you have a newer hardware set up. Worth a try. Let us know how it goes!
    I also tried with "-dx9single" alone and with both flags "-useoldlauncher -dx9single".
    None of the two worked for me, same black screen.

I'll also try to download in a Virtual Machine and copy to my mac like you did. In that case what should I copy? Is it just a single folder like Warcraft III?
    I'm asking that because some Windows programs install other files in several different places.

Thanks for the fast response.

Guild Member
    Thanks

Simply copying the .exe and the .dat file, then setting wine to open the .exe file with the path within the container will suffice. You shouldn't need to download a virtual machine to do this if you're running it on bootcamp. Mac has the ability to read windows partitions - ntfs and fat, so to save yourself some grief with a vm, just mount and access the bootcamp partition from within mac and copy the two files into the wine container.

There is also a guide on the official guild wars 2 wiki page that has some more information. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2_on_Wine <-- i suggest using this in conjunction with Okaria's post above and seeing what works.
    Another resource that i found useful is the winehq site for guild wars 2 http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=26558

I hope that was useful for you. And, again, let us know how it goes!
    Arcelius - Elementalist
    Aureus Knights, Magumma

rodrigoruiz

Quote Originally Posted by Crescendo View Post
    Simply copying the .exe and the .dat file, then setting wine to open the .exe file with the path within the container will suffice. You shouldn't need to download a virtual machine to do this if you're running it on bootcamp. Mac has the ability to read windows partitions - ntfs and fat, so to save yourself some grief with a vm, just mount and access the bootcamp partition from within mac and copy the two files into the wine container.

There is also a guide on the official guild wars 2 wiki page that has some more information. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2_on_Wine <-- i suggest using this in conjunction with Okaria's post above and seeing what works.
    Another resource that i found useful is the winehq site for guild wars 2 http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=26558

I hope that was useful for you. And, again, let us know how it goes!

I don't have Bootcamp set up, and I do have VirtualBox with Windows 7 (had to do it for school), so thats why the VM.
    Anyway, I did try to install from the Gw2Setup.exe on my Windows 7 VM and got the same black screen (except in windows it doesn't stay open, it closes and gives no error messages).

Then I tried the "Running Guild Wars 2 on a Mac using WineSkin" section from "http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2_on_Wine" by copying ""Gw2.exe and Gw2.dat from a friend who had Guild Wars 2 already working (the regular version, not beta one), and it also didn't work, I still get the same black screen.
    It does work with "-dx9single" flag, but it seems to be really slow (unable to play).

I didn't try the other way, "http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=26558", but since it has the "-dx9single" flag, i think it will also be very slow.

Any workarounds?

Thanks again.

Thanks

Awards Showcase

It's really odd that you'd have the same issue in WINE and a true VM. What model Mac and GPU are you running?

rodrigoruiz

The latest Macbook Pro with Retina Display (with the best configuration possible).

But also is there a way to run the game without "-dx9single"?

And I'm also trying the bootcamp solution now, but can't seem to be able to download the Windows Support software.
    The download bar gets stuck in about 20% (everything else works fine, I was able to install windows with bootcamp).

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigoruiz View Post
    The latest Macbook Pro with Retina Display (with the best configuration possible).

But also is there a way to run the game without "-dx9single"?

And I'm also trying the bootcamp solution now, but can't seem to be able to download the Windows Support software.
    The download bar gets stuck in about 20% (everything else works fine, I was able to install windows with bootcamp).
    OK. I have an identical rMBP but I haven't tried to run the game on it yet. I'll give that a go when I have a chance. I've never had to run the game with a dx9single flag in the past on my Mac Pro.

A thought: Have you tried disabling the retina (pixel doubled) resolution to see if that fixes the problem? You can use a utility like RDM to do so.
    Last edited by Okaria Dragon; 08-27-2012 at 07:55 PM.